Monday, April 21, 2014

Chicken Vegetable Slow Cooker Soup



Hmmm. Both kids have ball games tonight. Not going to be home to cook, so I raided my fridge to see what I had. Mostly vegetables. So, I tossed a bunch of stuff in the crock and this is what I created.

I do not know how this is going to taste when it's done cooking, but I'll be sure to let you know! Can't be too horrible right? I mean, these are all pretty basic ingredients! Not sure if the chicken will screw up a perfectly good vegetable soup or if it will just enhance it making it better. Who knows?

What I do know is I needed something easy and non-time consuming that will be ready when my kids get home from their ball games and are "...starving Mom. What's for dinner? Is it done yet?"!

1 pkg (approx. 1 1/2 lb) chicken tenders (vein removed and diced)
4 small red potatoes (skins on, diced - approx. 1 1/2 cups)
1 1/2 cups diced celery
1 onion, cut however you prefer, approx the size of a tennis ball
1 1/2 cups diced carrots (I cut up carrot chips in to smaller pieces, but could use baby, matchstick or cut your own from whole)
2 small zucchini, skin on, sliced rounds (I used the nice small fresh spring zucchini)
28 oz can diced tomatoes
1 box (32 oz) vegetable broth
3 tsp fresh minced garlic
3 tsp dried parsley
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp black pepper
sprinkle in a dash of salt if you prefer

So, I basically just tossed this all in the slow cooker and am cooking it for 6 to 8 hours on LOW, or until everything is nice and tender. I'm sure I'll stir it a couple times throughout the day to mix up the herbs and spices.

There ya go. I'm sure this is similar to any other vegetable soup that's out there in cyber or non-cyber world, but I didn't follow anyone else's recipe. I made my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment