Above is the link to the original recipe.
Below is my recipe...
1 lb lean ground round
12 oz ground Italian sausage (cuz that's what I had in my freezer)
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
3 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes (I used 1 petite and 2 regular)
1 (15 oz) + 1 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
3 cups beef broth (I used one 15 oz can + made 1 cup of my own using hot water and beef soup base)
3 bell peppers, diced (I used 2 green and 1 red), your choice really
1 cup sweet onion, diced (or one medium size)
2-3 Tbsp fresh minced garlic
1 (8 oz) pkg fresh mushrooms
1 Tbsp each Parsley, Oregano and Basil
Garlic Pepper seasoning, to taste (I use Tastefully Simple brand)
1 cup uncooked rice, but you will need to cook this!
large skillet, soup pot w/lid, rice steamer (or medium sauce pan/lid to cook rice), cutting board, knife, measuring spoon/cup, can opener, large spoon
Hint: This recipe moves pretty fast, so it's recommended you have your veggies chopped and the canned goods opened and ready to dump.
1. In large skillet: cook burger and sausage together until no longer pink. Drain grease and pat dry with paper towel. Set aside.
2. In large sauce pot (soup pot), heat olive oil over medium heat. Add diced onions and peppers (You can add mushrooms at this time too, if you want them well cooked) and saute 3-5 minutes. Add minced garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
3. Add to soup pot: diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, parsley, oregano, basil and mushrooms (if you didn't saute them earlier). Stir well.
4. This is the time you would want to start cooking your rice as well. Mine takes about 20 minutes.
5. Add beef/sausage to pot and stir well. Cook on same heat until boils. Then reduce heat to Simmer and cover for 30 minutes.
6. When rice is finished, add to soup and stir well. Let soup finish simmering for another 10 minutes or so, and you're done!
Now, you may add to your individual servings: shredded cheese, sour cream or whatever other things you may like with your stuffed peppers, or Soup, in this case.
Hint: Don't add too much cheese, cuz then it all just sticks to your spoon after it's melted!
I must admit, adding the Italian sausage to this recipe has made all the difference! I absolutely love this recipe and will be making it again!
I do not think it tastes as much like a Stuffed Pepper as it could. Maybe because I used less rice and added the sausage. But I like it!